BATHROOM Cleaning | DIY Solutions | Spring Cleaning Series!

Welcome back to the second post in this month’s Spring Cleaning Series! This post focuses on cleaning the bathroom and easy DIY solutions that have become my essentials.

Before getting into the process of ‘DIYing’, I want to mention that the bathroom can be a tricky place to maintain cleanliness using only homemade products. As mentioned in my Kitchen Cleaning blog, I still use a few store-bought products that I couldn’t find sustainable replacements of and I’m open to any suggestions you may have (so please share in the Comments)!

These store-bought products are mostly anti-bacterial ones that kill majority of germs in the bathroom but personally, are not ideal because they contain harsh chemicals and release toxins in the air. Some of the DIY swaps I’ve come across are just not efficient in terms of saving time (i.e. leaving vinegar in the toilet or tub for a couple hours before scrubbing).

Anyways, I hope some of these DIY solutions can benefit you and I’m looking forward to hearing some feedback!

1. Mirror Cleaner

This only requires 2 simple ingredients: alcohol and distilled water. In an empty spray bottle, pour rubbing alcohol 70% of the way up and fill in the remaining 30% with distilled or filtered (NOT tap) water. Shake it up and it’s ready to go!

The best way I find to avoid leaving streak marks on the mirror as I clean it with the alcohol solution, is to use a dry microfibre cloth.

2. All Purpose Cleaner

I shared the recipe for my All Purpose Cleaner in the last blog post using Castile soap, baking soda and water. I like to use this solution for cleaning the countertop, inside the sink as well as the nozzle, the cabinet doors as well as the inside shelves, the shower tiles, and door knobs.

I also use it for cleaning the outer surfaces of the toilet, but for the actual toilet bowl I end up using the anti-bacterial solution. Again, any sustainable alternatives for this will be highly appreciated! I also use a warm damp microfibre cloth with the cleaner to wipe down everything.

3. Solution for Soap Scum Buildup (Shower / Bathtub)

So this is a great DIY for deep cleaning your shower and/or bathtub. All you need to make this are 3 simple ingredients: half a cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 1 cup of any liquid laundry detergent, and 1 cup of household vinegar. Mix it all together and apply it all over your shower tiles or bathtub. Leave the solution for 45 minutes before scrubbing it with a brush. You will find that it does not take a lot of effort to scrub out the soap scum or mildew, and you will be left with a sparkling shower/bathtub!

4. Pods for Drainage

In between your deep cleaning routines, you can use DIY pods to clear your drainage in the bathroom sink, shower/tub, and the toilet. All you need is equal parts baking soda, liquid laundry detergent, and any essential oil of your choice (optional). Mix all ingredients together and pack into ice cube trays. Leave them to freeze for about 2 hours and then you can store them in a container.

To use these pods, pour hot water down the drain first then add the pod and pour hot water again until it is completely dissolved. You can do this in the toilet too, leaving the pod for 30 seconds to fizzle out before adding the hot water. These DIY pods will also leave your bathroom smelling fresh whether you add the essential oil or not. **Side note this can also be used in your kitchen sink!

Thanks for tuning back in! If you are interested in living a more sustainable and simple life but don’t know where or how to start, please subscribe to the blog and check out the previous posts!

Peace & Love ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: